Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Achievements and Map Completion : GW2

I need Heart of Thorns mastery points to unlock ley line gliding so I decided to do some story quests with achievements that I thought would be on the easier side. Did it with my sylvari necromancer as I needed the "sylvari solidarity" achievement which has your character talk another sylvari out of succumbing to the dragon.


I took the defense path so I got to see the wreck of Mr. Sparkles. Pressing F to pay respects. 

Seeing this made me think - does Zojja know that Eir is dead? I remember that in the canon Anet went with the story that Logan recovered better than Zojja so she was pretty much out of it, right? Considering the fact how hard it is to get Felicia Day to voice any lines Zojja will probably be lost for a long while. I wonder if that's why they chose Zojja to be the one who was hurt more by the blighting pod. Unless I've forgotten what the plot is, I'm too lazy to look it all up as I'm writing.


I was worried I would let the turret break but it survived! You can see it's health bar - almost at zero. I was worried I made a mistake doing the quest alone, especially since I'm not used to necro and I'm not very mobile and good with mixing skills but I persisted.

I earned exactly one (1) mastery point out of this ordeal. I need six more to unlock Ley Line gliding. I also have Itzel and Nuhoch lore at like 4 out of 6 but lord help me if I'll be doing more achievement runs. I might do some mastery insights since it's easier to try and travel the world than actually do the story over and over again.

Now I will add a little overdue comment about Heart of Thorns:



The main point of the first expansion pack was that sylvari have become the enemy, or possible enemy - they're servants of Mordremoth and might answer his call at any time. To me, however, it felt like that aspect never affected the story too much. Almost feel like one has to play with a sylvari to actually feel the racism. It was quite fun seeing Raffy interact with other sylvari or hear Mordremoth's voice. 

Canach talked how it would be ironic if he died wrongly accused but it's not like he ever faced hardships. It was a lot of Tell but no Show.

Another thing that's a shame is that the expac is confined to its own maps so it doesn't feel like the world in itself is affected that much. I don't know how it is in other games and how programming works - one probably can't tweak things in maps to show for people that have the expac. Might end up locking people without the pack in different maps. Not very fun that way. I don't know how any of that works so whatever!

I hope Path of Fire affects the world more and I also hope the maps will be more explorable and less one huge meta event.


I got 100% map completion with Tobias. My last maps were the entirety of Orr and I could go down memory lane how annoying the Risen are. Mapping Orr was fun though, I could explore on my own even if some Risen froze or shackled me. 

Exploring in the Maguuma Jungle is just... painful. I know Guild Wars 2 is adding more competitive and "hardcore" aspects to it but the main appeal has always been the "you can explore the world and join with random people to take down enemies". I go to the jungle only to join events because there is no point in going on your own.

Then again, the maps being huge meta-events was a criticism many people said when Heart of Thorns came out so I'm hoping Anet is learning from their mistakes and Path of Fire will return to the Authentic Guild Wars Experience (tm). I think the devs said something about being true to the original Guild Wars 2 experience but yet again can't be assed to look into it.

I'm going off on tangents, aren't I?

In other news, helped clean the garden today at work and now my middle finger hurts. I honestly feel like I busted a tendon or something, heck.

No comments:

Post a Comment