Saturday, November 27, 2021

Beetles for an Oni : Genshin Impact

Thought it would be appropriate to post some of my current thoughts about Genshin Impact.

Recently caught up with the new event, which also made me play through Albedo's story quest. I'm a bit of a sinner in that I am AR56 and have played for almost a year but haven't finished all the available stories... I still have Mona's, Eula's and maybe some more left to play. I am also slacking on the hangouts, only explored Diona's a bit. Let's just say I've become so ADHD I struggle to sit through an hour of dialogue and text. A bit of a shame, but oh well. At least I always have something to do! 😅

Bennett is one of my favorites for sure, so it's nice to see him appear in an event! Bit of a shame Fischl was only mentioned... I like to interpret Benny, Razor and Fischl as the Mondstadt troubled teen group. They would be the perfect band of misfit friends. Also hadn't yet started playing when Fischl did appear in an event so I have yet to see her in action. Maybe she will get a hangout one day? One can hope.


The "twist" about Albedo's true nature was something his fans saw from a mile away... but that's not bad! I don't like it when authors try to make "unpredictable" twists in stories just to shock their audience. If your reader or player figures out something that's laid out for them it's good. Genshin has a lot of lore to read up and most facts about characters are laid out neatly so it's cool when the puzzle pieces fall in place. Similarly how a lot of people noticed Scaramouche's similarities with the Raiden Shogun - and it turned out he was a proto-puppet for Ei! Anyways...

I'm skipping both Albedo and Eula's banners to wait for Itto. Got lucky/unlucky on Hu Tao's banner. Lost my first pity, then got Hu Tao, then Mona came at 15 pulls in. I have a bit of a bad pulling habit so I definitely tempt fate way too much. However, this means I have a guaranteed Itto once he comes so I'm preparing a bit, both by holding onto primogems and gathering materials for his ascension.


Aside from wrangling the new Geo boss (good thing I leveled Ningguang a bit, at least I can charge the doggy cannons...) I am also exploring Inazuma to gather Onikabuto. It's a bit of an annoying task but at this point in time I am almost halfway through with the materials, have about 70 out of 168 beetles needed for full ascension and 13 shards from the boss.

The most annoying part is using the Teyvat interactive map and tying to figure out the verticality of the situation. 😅 Sometimes the gatherables are in a cave but you can't tell that from a top-down map. I've always hated vertical zoning in games - I complained about it in Guild Wars 2, it gives me headaches in Warframe and Genshin Impact is no different.

I try to motivate myself by taking it step by step. Some people really like to 100% things day one but... I don't have to gather all materials on day one. I have plenty of time until the current banners run out. Besides I don't have 12 hours a day, every day to play games anyways! Don't understand people who turn gaming into a chore or a competition...

The biggest headache will be artifact hunting for sure, RNG is usually quite harsh on me and I have no idea what sort of stats would be best for Itto. He scales off DEF so I'm looking at both Albedo and Noelle build guides - so most likely a DEF%, GEO DMG and Crit rate/DMG combo of the newest set that increases DEF. I got two nice hats - one crit rate, the other crit dmg, let's hope they won't be completely useless. 🤣 I hate getting good stats on the wrong set!

And to end this post I'm gonna post my results from a sorter! I posted top 20 but honestly... I think Tartaglia is the only character I'm totally, fully invested in. I like a lot of characters in GI, they are very compelling in their own little ways but Childe is just "the" favorite character. 🤷 I like him as a character and I think he is also the most fun mechanics wise . Raiden is a close second, I'm a bit disappointed in how her character was handled but I like her playstyle.

Here is the sorter if you wanna use it yourself!


No comments:

Post a Comment