Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Conversations over a cup of coffee I : Warframe


“Frohd called for a no confidence vote.”
Ergo looked up from his coffee. Nef wasn’t smiling, neither were his eyes. He wasn’t lying. “They tossed you out?”

“Unanimous vote. You should have seen Vaia, that look on her face, she almost jumped in her seat when she raised her hand,” Nef put his hands behind his head, leaned back and stared at the ceiling. “I already know which holdings on Neptune she will try to snag from me.”

“What’s your plan?” Ergo ignored Nef’s quips.

“Well, you know how it goes - I get thrown off the Board, Bek declares me a liability, has me killed off and repossess my property to auction off to his friends. Just like he did with your father,” Nef readjusted himself and leaned forward in his seat. “Sooner or later the Lotus will wake up and send her little Tenno after me as well.”

“This doesn’t sound like something that would interest her. If the Corpus are re-organizing, it does not interfere with the Balance,” Ergo said.

“If Nef Anyo dies, nothing will change.”

Ergo said nothing. They sat in silence for a moment, neither man wanting to be the one to speak first. Ergo wasn’t sure what to make of Nef’s demeanor - on one hand, he relayed everything with the usual confidence and authority the Prophet of Profit is known for. On the other hand…

“Aren’t you scared?”

Finally, Nef smiled.

“Scared of what? Death? Glast… do you have such a low opinion of me? If anyone tries to touch me, I will retaliate, simple as that. I still have the Razorbacks, I still have the Orb Mothers. If Bek really thinks he has achieved anything, he will learn the truth the hard way.”

Silence.

“I think we should eat, the omelette is going to go cold.”

And so the two men ate their breakfast, without exchanging any more words.

No comments:

Post a Comment